Natural Fertility Boosters
Whether you have been trying for 6 months or 10 years, struggling to get pregnant is hard. I have known the heartache of negative pregnancy tests. I have cried the tears and felt the longing that empty arms leave you with...that is another story for another day. For now, I want to point you in a direction of natural fertility boosters. Let's give our bodies the best chance for a healthy conception and pregnancy!
You really are what you eat.
Did you know that what you eat TODAY impacts the health of your eggs and sperm 90 days from now? Preparing your body with the proper nutrition is the best step toward conception and healthy pregnancy. Eating nutrient dense whole foods helps your body with normal hormonal function, egg health, sperm health, gut health, etc. A Harvard Study released in 2007 showed an 80% decrease in infertility for women who made changes in their diet and lifestyle.
This book is a great place to start:
Beware of Everyday Hormone Disruptors
About 10 years ago, my mom told me I needed to stop using the regular household cleaner I was buying at the store because it could be impacting my fertility. I rolled my eyes and thought to myself, she needs to stop listening to the news! Well, the more research I did on my own, I learned my mom was right. Not only were my household cleaners impacting my fertility, but many things I was using everyday were disrupting my hormones. Plastics, smell-good plug-ins, household cleaners, insecticides, etc. These products contain man-made chemicals that mimic estrogen in your body and can cause estrogen dominance.
Try some alternatives:
- Instead of plastic food storage containers, use glass.
- Instead of ziplock bags, use reusable cloth bags
- Instead of candles or smell-good plug-ins, diffuse essential oils.
- Avoid insecticides by eating organically, when possible. Follow the Clean 15 | Dirty Dozen list.
- Instead of using harsh chemicals to clean, make your own powerful all-purpose cleaner using essential oils.
The increase of stress hormones can suppress ovulation, decrease sperm count and lower your libido. There is even a name for it: Stress Induced Reproductive Dysfunction. Make stress relief a priority.
Here are some tips to help with your stress level:
- Try Aromatherapy. There are stress-eliminating essential oils you can diffuse to help bring peace and calm.
- Make sure you are getting enough sleep. Use yellow lightbulbs in our home and turn on the "nightshift" option on your phone that switches from blue to yellow light in the evenings.
- Get exercise! Just go for a 30 min walk per day to get endorphines going to help reduce the combat stress and depression.
- Take guilt-free "me" time. Take a bath, read a book, get a pedicure. Take some time for yourself.
Whether it is a trusted friend or support group, don't walk this road alone. Speak the secrets of your heartache to someone. Having someone who understands your longing can be a soft place to fall when it is all too much.
Here are some resources for you: